SEVEN TIMES I WAS COWARDLY:
- When I wore my new wide-legged Cocoa-Cola pants to school on the first day of ninth grade, and the kids laughed at me so I never wore them again.
- The time they said Change that dress, it doesn’t glorify the Lord. So, I changed. Just like Cinderella.
- The time he exposed himself and then reminded me of Joseph in the Bible. Who do you think they will believe? he asked. You, I said. You.
- When I didn’t win the writing contest in seventh grade and quit writing for 35 years.
- The time she said You’re just like Lily, and I knew she thought ‘Lily-likeness’ was a terrible thing. I cried and tried harder not to be like Lily.
- The time he screamed at me because his shirt wasn’t ironed, and I said Sorry and ironed the shirt.
- When I hid Eat, Pray, Love in the back of my desk because I was afraid they would think I wasn’t spiritual if I read “garbage” like that.
AND ONE TIME I WAS COURAGEOUS:
- The second time I ran a marathon.
Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
take courage, friends.
You are not alone.